Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Treetops Learning Academy Comes to Life


As of January 16th, the Treetops Free Learning Academy is officially recognized by NC DNPE as a home school. Hooray, hooray! I'm a bit peeved on the name. For the last couple of years my heart was set on the "Duct Tape Rocket Academy". The kid had a few ideas of his own, including "Liberty Science School" and "Booger Academy for Pirates". Treetops seemed like a reasonable middle ground.

Besides, the name came to me as I was relaxing in the hammock. Meaning, of course, it ought to be a good idea. 

Now, being an official school, albeit a school of one, means we must perform some academic work every day for at least as many days as kids in regular schools. Fine. We've been doing that for years already. But now I have to keep better record of all that we do. So, in addition to a Way Official Sounding School Name, I now have a Way Official School Schedule which I started last Fall. 

I'm not gonna post our old schedules though 'cause it'd be very boring. In fact, I didn't even need those records. Not until Monkey turned 7 anyway. But now that he's 7 years old (7 years and 3 days, to be exact), I do need them. So I keep them. Ok, I'm rambling... But here's what's going on at our Academy this week:

Week of English ReadingMath
February 10-14, 2014
MondayLet's Read - Lesson 50 pg 140
Explode the Code 2
Funny mental math
Kangaroo 2012
TuesdayLet's Read - Lesson 50 pg 141
Explode the Code 2
Yatzee
Kangaroo 2012
Flow app, Bloxorz app
WednesdayLet's Read - Lesson 51
Explode the Code 2
IQ Fit
Kangaroo 2012
Living Math book - The Mystery of the Sunken Treasure
ThursdayLet's Read - Lesson 52
Explode the Code 2
Connect 4
KenKen app
Living Math - The Mystery of the Sunken Treasure
Kangaroo 2012
FridayLet's Read - Lesson 53
Explode the Code 2
Yatzee
Kangaroo 2012
KenKen


At least that's the plan. In addition to this, we have PE in the form of weekly yoga classes. Also, this week Monkey was going to start fencing. But we've been hit with an Epic Snowstorm and it looks like fencing is cancelled this week. We'll just have to fill our req'd PE hours with lots and lots of sledding.

Other things that got cancelled because of the Epic Snowstorm are the Math Circle and the Young Engineers Club. More on those - later.

No comments:

Post a Comment